Quick Steps to Become a Big
Here are the quick and easy steps we’ll walk you through:
- Inquire. Inquire today to speak with a match specialist at Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Apply. Ready to take the next step right now? Complete the online application.
- Interview. A Match or Enrollment Specialist will conduct an in person interview.
- Background Check. Child safety is our top priority. We will review your records to ensure you’ll be a good fit for our program.
- References. You will need to provide at least two references that come from colleagues, co-workers, friends, supervisors, etc.
- Matching. We will review the children in your area who need a Big Brother or Big Sister and find the best fit for you. Depending on the gender and the kind of child you would like to work with, matching may go very quickly or may take some time. Making the best match is important to our commitment to form a lasting mentoring relationship.
Interviews take about an hour and take place at a designated location determined by the interviewer and applicant. During the interview, a staff member provides an orientation for the volunteer, explaining the program in greater detail, helping the volunteer to determine which program option is the best fit, and answering any questions the volunteer may have. The interview consists of a questionnaire designed to help us get to know the volunteer better and to determine what type of “Little” would be the best fit. A portion of the questionnaire is devoted to assessing the volunteer’s home environment.
Match Support Specialists maintain regular contact with the parent, child, and volunteer involved in the match relationship. This allows the participants to share their match experiences, and any concerns and questions they may have with a member of the agency. It also allows for individualized volunteer training needs, addressing specific questions a volunteer may have about their mentoring experience.
Spending time with your Little
Once matched, Big Brothers and Big Sisters develop friendships with their Little Brothers and Little Sisters. Whether playing a computer game or simply hanging out – Volunteer Bigs bring magic into a child’s life and can START SOMETHING BIG. It is that simple!
School-based matches meet in schools for just one hour each week during the school day. Matches do projects together, read in the library, eat lunch, shoot hoops and more.
Community-based matches are Bigs and Littles who hang out in the community and go to museums, sports events, movies, and more. It’s up to you and your Little!
We will support your friendship
When you are part of something Big, you are not alone. Each match is supported by professionally trained Match Specialist staff at your local Big Brothers Big Sisters Agency. Match Support Specialists regularly check in with volunteers, children, and parents, and are always available to answer questions.
Regular events are held in your community, giving you an opportunity to meet other Bigs and Littles in your area. Plus, through the generosity of our community partners and individuals in your community, there are often free tickets to ball games, the theater, and more! Please see the Events tab for more details.