Volunteering is fun! Being a Big Brother or Big Sister is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable things you will ever do. As a Big, you get to be a kid again for an hour or two a week and in the process change a child’s perspective on life. All you have to do is be a real friend. It’s easy!
Invite your Little to join you for the kinds of activities you already like to do, such as:
- Shooting hoops
- Playing a board game
- Sharing a pizza
- Taking a walk in the park
- Or just hanging out and talking.
Just 4 hours a month can change a young person’s life.
Depending on the Big Brothers Big Sisters program you are in, you will meet your Little at his or her school or in the community. Learn more about our programs.
Little Brothers and Little Sisters come from all kinds of backgrounds. Some are really little (as young as seven) and some are teenagers. Some may live on your block and some a few miles away. What do they all have in common?
They need the friendship and guidance of someone like YOU.
“As a Big, you’re simply a friend. Your friendship fits your lifestyle. Busy people of all ages can get involved-choose the program that works best for you!”
-Ron, age 54, Big Brother
We’re here to help.
Have a question? Don’t worry. Our trained staff will be happy to guide you through the application process. And when it’s time to make a match we’ll help you meet a Little in your area who shares your interests – and we’ll support you all the way. We’ll even give you some great ideas for activities that other Bigs and Littles have enjoyed through the years!
Looking for more information right away? Review answers to commonly asked questions in our FAQs.
A few facts about our program:
- We have over 150 kids waiting to be matched to a “Big.”
- All the kids want to be in the program.
- We welcome volunteers to be a Big Family, Big Couple, or individual Big Brother or Sister.
- Volunteer commitment is one year, however many Matches last much longer and many last a lifetime.
- Once you are a “Big” you will have the support of our agency every step of the way. Each Match is appointed a Match Support Specialist who will help make the Match and will then support the Match.
- The decision on the child you are matched with is ultimately up to you. Upon enrollment, you will be given a child that our Case Managers believe would be a good fit for you. You will learn about the child and eventually choose the child whom you think you could create the tightest bond.
- Once you are part of the BBBS family, you will be invited to many special activities including agency events and fundraisers.
If you have been thinking about getting involved; now you know how easy it is and how much your help is needed. Why not apply to be a Big today?